If your goal is a straighter smile, you have many options available. Metal braces are a tried-and-true method that have been in use for decades, but many patients opt for Invisalign.
Around since 1997, Invisalign is a relative newcomer to the tooth-straightening scene. Since these aligners are clear, removable and do not require pokey wires or brackets, Invisalign has grown in popularity over the past several years.
Then there is Smile Direct Club. This new alternative uses similar methods to Invisalign, but with several key differences.
Pros to Using Smile Direct Club
- Save Money: Smile Direct Club is an inexpensive way to align your bite at home. The advertised cost for treatment with Smile Direct is $1850 for a one-time payment, or $2170 if you break your fee into monthly $80 payments. (Dentistry at Suburban Square’s monthly payments are $69 per month with no starting costs and you have a direct care from Dr. Wollock.) You’ll also need to pay a $270 fee for your impressions. After your treatment ends, you need to pay $99 for a retainer. So overall, the cost is typically starting at $2219.
- Save Time: The program offers the benefit of allowing patients to treat themselves at home. You can get a scan of your smile at a local branch, or you can order an at-home impressions kit from Smile Direct Club.
- Easy to Get Started: An orthodontist uses the scans of your smile to evaluate a treatment plan from a remote location. Without you ever meeting with your orthodontist, your aligners arrive in the mail.
Cons to Using Smile Direct Club
- High Failure Rate: Even though the procedure is cheaper than visiting a dentist’s office, there is a significantly higher failure rate that will cost you more in the long run.
- One-Size-Fits-All Treatment: You may not be a good candidate for Invisalign or Smile Direct, or you may require additional treatment. If you see a dentist, they will tell you whether you require different treatments, such as implants. This isn’t the case with Smile Direct Club.
- Poor Customer Service: Many Smile Direct customers report poor customer service. Phone calls are met with an automatic recording where callers must jump through hoops to finally speak to the right person.
- No Buttons: Smile Direct will not utilize buttons, an important part of the Invisalign process. Buttons are small, temporary attachments that adhere to your teeth and hold the aligners in place.
- Paying for Multiple Impressions: Even professional dentists don’t always get impressions perfectly on the first try, so it makes sense that many Smile Direct customers report that their impressions are rejected the first time. If your first impressions don’t turn out, you will be charged 50% of the original cost for a new testing kit.
Read the Reviews First
While a large company like Smile Direct Club can often provide many positive testimonials, they have the control to moderate the reviews they share with you. It’s often more telling to view an unmoderated reviews page, like Yelp, where anyone can write about their experience. If you visit Smile Direct Club’s Yelp page, you will notice many of the same disadvantages as listed above. For comparison, be sure to check out our Yelp testimonials.
Benefits to Working with Dr. Wollock
Working with a professional dentist gives you the benefit of professional guidance during your treatment. If something isn’t working, Dr. Wollock will be able to adjust your treatment.
While Smile Direct Club users do have some support from the company, there is no replacement for seeing a doctor in a face-to-face office setting. Dentists undergo years of schooling that give them unique insight into correcting bites.
Dr. Wollock is 1 of 25 Elite 1% Invisalign dentists in the country. Other dentists in North America seek out Dr. Wollock, who uses his experience and expertise to mentor his peers.
All-Inclusive Invisalign for $3,279
Unlike Smile Direct Club, Dentistry at Suburban Square’s Invisalign treatment is all-inclusive. There are no hidden costs, and the price you pay upfront, or with a payment plan, covers:
- Initial consult
- All visits
- All Invisalign treatment
- Any necessary corrections
- Free set of retainers
When you are treated for Invisalign at Dentistry at Suburban Square, not only do you gain access to Dr. Wollock’s professional expertise and customized treatment, but you will receive the best deal on Invisalign in the Philadelphia area.
Interested in Invisalign? Learn more about Dentistry at Suburban Square’s Invisalign deal.